Pope 'could cancel UK visit' over 'offensive' Foreign Office memo
I hope all concerned are ashamed of themselves and it leaves a very unpleasant taste.
Indeed, how dare some godless non-catholics presume to teach the catholic church about morality! How dare they just say things which are true, how dare they call out the pope on his ass-backwards dark-age era sentiments!
The following list actually doesn't sound like that big a deal to me, most of the items on here I'd do in a heartbeat. But then I am probably a lot more sane and a lot more humane than an organisation which holds the lives of millions in its hand, is abusing its power and has done so for hundreds of years. I have also never raped someone, not even a child. Which probably makes me unfit to judge, unlike pope Rat who did all he could to cover up scandals and protect the guilty.
Bullet points from the memo:
- Launch of 'Benedict' condoms
- Review of Vatican attitude on condom use
- Bless a civil partnership
- Reversal of policy on women bishops/ordain woman
- Open an abortion ward
- Speech on equality
- Statement on views over adoption (change of stance)
- Training course for all bishops on child abuse allegations
- Harder line on child abuse—announce sacking of dodgy bishops
- Vatican sponsorship for network of AIDS clinics
- Meet young unemployed people
- Apologize for… …
- Canonise/pseudo canonise a group
- Announce whistle blowing system for child abuse cases
- Go to job centre
- Debate on abortion
- All catholic schools should be free entry to all
- Speech on democracy
- Vatican and C of E funded committee on dialogue
- Launch helpline for abused children
That unpleasant taste you have? It's called "a dawning realisation that your entire life is a lie".
Update: The Guardian has an interesting article
that shows just how much British officials are falling over backwards to make sure dear old pope Rat doesn't have to face reality or consequences for the catholic church's (in)actions.